Birthstone for February
Amethyst’s major attribute is its rich velvety purple or reddish purple hue. Gems that display this color evenly—with no visible color zoning when viewed from above—are highly prized. Amethyst was as expensive as ruby and emerald until the 19th Century, when Brazil’s large deposits were discovered. It was believed to prevent intoxication—amethystos means “not drunk” in ancient Greek. Today, as the most valued quartz variety, amethyst is in demand for designer pieces and mass-market jewelry alike, and its purple to pastel hues retain wide consumer appeal. It is the birthstone for the month February.
Refractive Index: 1.544 to 1.553
Mohs Hardness: 7
- Clean with warm soap and water
- Clean with our McCoy Jewelers cleaner kit
- Rinse with warm water and dry with a soft, clean cloth
- Avoid wearing in situations where it may come into direct contact with harsh blows.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight or heat.
Price point: $
Products Featuring Amethyst