Birthstone for March
Aquamarines are a green blue to blue variety gemstone made of mineral beryl. Aquamarines normally have a light pastel color, with heat treatments allowing for richer blue hues. Aquamarine’s name comes from the Latin for seawater and it was said to calm waves and keep sailors safe at sea. March’s birthstone was also thought to enhance the happiness of marriages. The best gems combine high clarity with limpid transparency and blue to slightly greenish blue hues. Like many beryls, aquamarine forms large crystals suitable for sizable fashioned gems and carvings. This is a softer gemstone and would be best suited for a necklace or earring rather than a ring.
Refractive Index: 1.577 to 1.583
Mohs Hardness: 7.5 to 8.0
- Clean with warm soap and water
- Clean with our McCoy Jewelers cleaner kit
- Rinse with warm water and dry with a soft, clean cloth
- Avoid wearing aquamarine jewelry in situations where it may come into direct contact with harsh blows.
- Easy to scratch, wear with caution in rings or bracelets.
Price point: $-$$