How to Care for Your Jewelry at Home
Keeping your jewelry clean and protected helps with the lifespan of your jewelry. When you keep your jewelry safe and clean, you are eliminating risk of unnecessary wear and tear on your jewelry.
Protect and Prevent
We’ve talked about insurance before, and we will continue to say it. Insurance is the best way to protect your jewelry. It can protect you from unforeseen situations like theft or damage.
Other good practices that you should be implementing at your home to protect and prevent against damage on your jewelry.
- STORE IN A SEPARATE, FABRIC POUCH OR SECTION OF YOUR JEWELRY BOX
- Your jewelry is easily scratched by other jewelry, keeping your jewelry away from each other helps prevent scratches.
- HAVE A SAFE, MEMORABLE LOCATION AVAILABLE TO PLACE YOUR JEWELRY
- Routines help prevent the “I don’t remember where I put it” moments. You should be putting your jewelry in the same spot every time you take it off.
- PRO TIP: Necklaces should be kept flat or hung to prevent tangling and knotting. Some types of chain can not handle being tangled or knotting without having permanent damage.
- Even when you are on-the-go, always placing your jewelry in a memorable spot that stays with you will help prevent against loss.
Keeping Your Jewelry Sparkly at Home
Each gemstone requires different care. You can find more information on what each gemstone can handle, here. Anything from doing the dishes to putting sunscreen or lotions on your hands can cause dirt and muck to accumulate on your jewelry.
- DIY JEWELRY CLEANING SOLUTION
- Mix 1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid and 1 cup warm water
- Soak your jewelry in the solution for about 5 minutes and then gently scrub with a soft toothbrush
- Air dry or carefully towel-dry with paper towel or regular cloth
- Watch it sparkle and fire in the sunshine.
- Important note: Do not use chlorine bleach, ammonia, or rubbing alcohol on jewelry.
- PRO TIP: Skip the DIY cleaning entirely if your gem isn’t red, white, or blue (Meaning rubies, diamonds and sapphires) Many other gemstones have fickle properties that require professional care.
As always, the best way to keep your jewelry sparkling bright is by using our complimentary clean and check service that we provide. To read more on those services, click here.