Birthstone for June
Perfect shining spheres. Lustrous baroque forms. Seductive strands, warm to the touch. Pearls are simply and purely organic. Pearls are all different colors and types and can be found in various water bodies – rivers, lakes, and oceans. The most popular pearl is the freshwater pearl that can be found in different light hues. Perhaps the best-loved gems of all time, pearls—natural and cultured—occur in a wide variety of colors. The most familiar are white and cream, but the palette of colors extends to every hue. Natural pearls form around a microscopic irritant in the bodies of certain mollusks. Cultured pearls are the result of the deliberate insertion of a bead or piece of tissue that the mollusk coats with nacre. Pearls are one of the birthstones for the month of June and is relatively soft, meaning its need special care.
Mineral: Calcium Carbonate
Refractive Index: 1.52-1.69
Mohs Hardness: 2.5-3.0
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
- Limit to occasional wear to minimize scratches.
- Keep away from perfume or hairspray.
- To clean, use a damp cloth.
- Never use cleaning kits
- Do not store in an airtight environment.
- Avoid wearing pearl jewelry in situations where it may come into direct contact with harsh blows.
Price point: $-$$